Monday, September 1, 2008

Blog # 3

In the Excerpt from "Fried Butter," Abe Opincar  did not appeal to his audience; his audience, equaling me and others.  He talked about his mother being pregnant and how she always used to have eggs.  When he was born, he talked about how she never complained when she cleaned or made him eggs for breakfast.  How could he degrade his mom like that.  He portrayed her as a good slave and him as a king that sat on his throne and did nothing to help her.  In one part of the memoir he said," I wanted to go outside and play."  She said, "I'm lonely. Please stay with me and talk."  He didn't.  He went outside to play.  Wouldn't he feel some type of guilt for not staying inside with his mom?  I couldn't believe he would be such a jerk and not hang out with his mom, especially since his mom does everything for him.  I also don't understand why his mom won't give herself a break.  It seems like she lives to do stuff for her family.  For example, "When she visits, she cooks for me.  I sit at the table and she watches me eat."  She even said, " I didn't do any of it because I enjoyed it.  I did it out of love."  So she doesn't like to do any of it, but since she loves her son so much, she will do anything for him.  I really don't understand that.  A mother shouldn't feel like they have to do everything for their family.  I feel like if she loved her son then she wouldn't do everything for him.  When he grows up, it will be hard for him to adapt to reality.  He will have to realize fast that his mom is not going to be their to do everything for him.  And because his mom did do everything for him,  he will probably be looking for a wife who will do everything for him like his mom did.
In "'Herb's Chicken,"Anna Seitz's memoir was interesting, but really gross.  I couldn't believe she would talk about something so gross as "processing" chicken. Who wants to hear how chicken is caught and slaughtered.  In the memoir, this part really made me cringe. "Herb easily pried the mouth open with his left hand, and with his right, he pushed the knife into its brain and turned it."  I  don't know how someone could do that to a chicken.  I know I eat chicken like every other day, but I don't want to know how they kill the chicken.  I guess you have to think of the chicken as survival instead of a living creature.  I think this memoir could make someone a vegetarian.  Anna Seitz did a very good job of being descriptive, but I really don't think anyone wants to know how a chicken is processed.  The one thing that I really liked about this memoir was the ending paragraph.  It was funny how her husband was excited that he learned how to kill a chicken and how she was the complete opposite about it.  His wife said she could do it again, but not eat it, especially since the whole point of killing a chicken is to eat it.  

No comments: