Friday, September 19, 2008

Blog # 6 Profile: The Last Stop

This reading really helped me understand the way to write a profile. Before, I really didn't know what a profile was. I was confused. I thought a profile was something that would come out of a magazine. I just thought it was a research paper or an add trying to sell something. I thought a profile was going to be a paper that was straight to the point, like black and white, no personal thought, just descriptions, but not really sensory details.
From The Last Stop, Brian Cable made me see profile writing in a different way. He used a lot of detail, describing the Goodbody Mortuaries. He really planted the picture of the dusty, pink building in my mind and the descriptions just didn't come all at once. He gave a step by step of what went on in the tour of the mortuary and in every step he described something different. For example, he described the building, the director, Mr. Deaver and then the embalmer and the body. He also added details from the internet about how much money is spent on funerals. He used his vague yet noticeable sense of humor when he talked about how that amount of money was more than a wedding sometimes. He used specific quotes from the director that really helped me understand the directors job and what his personality was like. He did a good job of showing and not just telling. Overall, I thought he picked a really interesting topic that many people wouldn't know too much about. I was really intreaged by this profile and thought it was really interesting to learn about. He brought in interesting facts from things that went on behind the scenes of a mortuary. I understand the elements of a written profile after reading this.

No comments: