Thursday, September 25, 2008

Blog# 8: The Long Goodbye: Mother's Day in Federal Prison

"The Long Goodbye: Mother's Day in Federal Prison," by Amanda Coyne was a very good personal profile. I liked how the beginning started out in the middle of a scene and you didn't quite know what was going on. The only thing that gave away the story was the title. If the author would have made a better title that was more interesting and something that made you guess what the story was going to be about, I would have liked the story more because it would have kept me in suspense longer. After I read the title, I knew exactly what it was going to be about and the suspense was gone.
Overall though, the story was really interesting. I thought it was funny how the old lady just starts telling them about her whole life story and about her messed up children. Grandmas do this all the time. They will talk to random strangers about the craziest things. I thought the story about her daughter and her son was sad. I think the sadest thing was that her son hit her like her husband or boyfriend used too. She shouldn't be the one in jail. She should be able to take care of her son.
The author was very descriptive and she told the story very well. The only parts I got confused with were who everybody was. I think the problem was that there were too many stories with in one profile. Also, I feel like it was a memoir because there was no historical reference to the prison. I really didn't learn anything from it.

1 comment:

FunCommander said...
This comment has been removed by the author.